WHY SHOULD I HAVE COMMUNICATING MATTERS FACILITATE THESE CONVERSATIONS?
- Even the best communicators can certain conversations tough. People have different ways of communicating with each other and sometimes it is hard to be heard and to hear what someone is trying to say. Having a facilitated conversation increases the likelihood that everyone will hear and understand each other at a difficult time
I AM COMPETENT AND HEALTHY….WHY SHOULD I PLAN FOR WHEN POSSIBLE FUTURE HEALTH AND FINANCIAL DECISIONS WILL NEED TO BE MADE NOW?
- No one can predict the future. Illness or life altering events can affect people without warning and at any age. Planning ahead and making sure that those you care about know what you want helps both you and them.
WHY SHOULD I TALK ABOUT MY NEWLY DIAGNOSED ILLNESS AND TREATMENT DECISIONS WITH THOSE WHO ARE SIGNIFICANT TO ME? THESE ARE MY DECISIONS. I WANT TO PROTECT THEM BY NOT SHARING MY ILLNESS.
- Your health care decisions are yours to make.
- It is your choice as to whether or not to share information with others about your illness and treatment choices, including the choice to refuse a treatment.
- Communicating your choices takes the fear and uncertainty away by those who care about you.
- Communicating your choices will help reduce possible conflict amongst the significant and well-meaning people in your life as they will understand your wishes so that they can spend energy supporting you and each other.
- Communicating your choices to those who care about you who may think that “they know best”, is important to make sure that they know what you want. This way they can help you based on your choices.
HOW WILL I MAKE SURE THAT HEALTH AND FINANCIAL DECISIONS BASED ON MY VALUES AND CHOICES ARE MADE WHEN I CAN NOT SPEAK FOR MYSELF?
- Some of your family members or friends may be better at helping with health issues; others may be better at finances. By talking about what your wishes are and letting everyone know why you have made certain decisions, you will help the significant people in your life focus on helping you and supporting each other, rather than possibly arguing with each other.
- If you are unable, due to incapacity, to make your own decisions, someone will must help you.
- If you are clear about what you want and have selected the people you want to act on your behalf, they will be able to act in accordance with your wishes not upon their values and wishes or assumptions about what they feel is right.
- Choosing people to act for you when you cannot is a serious matter; by doing this you give them a great deal of authority. Clear communication means that those who care about you will be able to support you based on your reality. NOT talking can leave those who care about you at a loss…not knowing how to best support you and each other.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO TALK ABOUT MY LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT? WHY SHOULD OTHERS KNOW WHAT IS IN MY LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT? THIS IS MY BUSINESS.
- Talking about money and inheritance is difficult for most people. In order for the significant people in your life to be able to pull together upon your death, it is important to talk to them about what you have chosen to do about your finances and estate planning.
- By explaining the decisions behind your choices, you may be able to reduce the possibility of conflict amongst important people in your life upon death.
- Having a facilitated conversation about the choices you made may help those you care about understand the rationale for your decisions
WHY DO I NEED SOMEONE TO FACILITATE MY DISCUSSION WITH SIGNIFICANT OTHERS?
- You have had time to think about your values and truths before you make important life decisions. Often when these decisions are shared with significant people in your life, their response may range from acceptance to disbelief and non acceptance.
- Communicating important life decisions can sometimes be difficult because these are emotional conversations and your decisions may conflict with their beliefs and values.
- Having your discussions facilitated increases the chances of family or friends receiving clear information from you to understand your decisions and your choices. Communicating choices helps to create a circle of support for yourself and each other.